In the country of Luxemburg there have been two networks of city tramlines (well to say, city based tramways, as one of them also had lines in the near countryside.
Click on one of the links below to find a short description of these two tramway networks (short description, dates opening, electrification, etc).
Between ca.1875 and 1950 there was a city tram in the city of Luxemburg. From 1875 this was a horse tramway running from the railway station to the center of the city. In 1908 this line was rebuilt as an electric tram, and the network of tramlines was extended largely.
To the left you can see a map of the tram network as it was in the year 1950. Below you can find some foto's of the city tram of Luxemburg.
To read more about the history of the city tramway of Luxemburg, please visit another website that I made especially about the city tramway of Luxemburg.
On that website you can find more information about the history, the rolling stock and about the lines of this city tram line of Luxemburg.
City trams on the roundabout in front of the railway station of Luxemburg.
Another picture of trams on the square before the railway station. Here we see the horse tram of the city.
In 1927 the TVL received two new interurban tram-cars. These remarkable cars were equipped with prototype SLM-trucks with a small center bogie with four small wheels which steered the two radial adjustable other traction axles equipped with normal wheels. These trucks were the prototypes for the later well known 3-axle SLM-trucks which were used on a large scale in cities like Zürich and Amsterdam.
The two tramcars, number 30 and 31 can be seen here in the city of Luxemburg, pulling goods wagons coming from the line from Echternach. By means of these electric trams, it was no longer needed to go with steam trams of the Echternach-line into the city center.
A city tram on the crossing of Boulevard Royal with Avenue Monterey.
In the year 1900 the first plans began to make a tramway around the city of Esch sur Alzette. It lasted 10 years, before a provisional syndicate was erected by several communities and it lasted until 1913 until a definitive syndicate was erected. Much discussions followed in the parish councils of the communities. But on 31 october 1915, the decision was made to make a tram network, consisting of 4 lines in meter gauge.
But the making of such a tramway lasted again very long. Only in 1927 the first tram line was brought into exploitation. The official opening was on 29 may 1927. But because of shortage of money, the electricity supplier did not provide the necessary electricity for the electric tram. But the next week, on 5 june 1927, the first tram was riding for public.
In the next years 4 tramlines were created (see the map above):
Apart of these 4 lines traversing several villages, some inner-community trams were created in Esch sur Alzette, Rumalange and Differdange.
Some statistics of the lines:
|Line||Date opening||Date closure||Distance (km)|
|Esch - Belval||5.6.1927||4.7.1953||4,7|
|Belval - Differdange||5.6.1927||4.7.1953||4.0|
|Differdange - Biffucation||5.6.1927||13.9.1949||4,8|
|Biffucation - Bascharage||5.6.1927||13.9.1949||1,5|
|Biffucation - Petange||5.6.1927||16.5.1948||1,4|
|Petange - Rodange||15.7.1927||16.5.1948||2,2|
|Rodange gare - Rodange frontiere||15.7.1927||15.9.1940||2,5|
|Rodange gare - Rodange haut||15.7.1927||15.9.1940||0,8|
|Esch city line|
|Esch - city line||14.7.1927||15.9.1940||2,0|
|Esch - Lallingen||14.7.1927||15.9.1940||1,8|
|Esch - Neudorf||2.4.1930||22.9.1956||0,5|
|Neudorf - Kayler Poteau||14.8.1927||22.9.1956||2,3|
|Kayler Poteau - Kayl||14.8.1927||22.9.1956||3,1|
|Kayl - Dudelange ville||14.8.1927||5.7.1954||4,2|
|Dudelange ville - frontiere||1934||5.7.1954||2,1|
|Dudelange ville - Burange||7.11.1927||15.7.1951||1,1|
|Dudelange ville - Tattenberg||4.2.1928||15.5.1931||0,9|
|Esch - Neudorf||2.4.1930||5.11.1950||0,5|
|Neudorf - Kayler Poteau||2.10.1927||5.11.1950||2,3|
|Kayler Poteau - Rumelange||2.10.1927||5.11.1950||3,9|
|Kayl - Tetange||7.11.1927||20.8.1956||1,6|
|Tetange - Rumelange||23.6.1928||20.8.1956||1,7|
|Esch - Neudorf||15.11.1931||11.9.1955||0,5|
|Neudorf - Schifflange||15.11.1931||11.9.1955||1,9|
The tram was an electric tram, with 1200 Volt DC elecricity. There were 3 depots, the main one in Esch-Belval (suited for 45 coaches), and a small one in Differdange and in Tetange (both for 4 coaches). The main depot in Esch-Belval also served as repair shop.
The tram existed until short after the second world war. On 20 august 1956 the last line (Esch - Differdange) was closed. Some other lines were closed in the time between the war and 1953.
In the begin year, 25 motor coaches and 5 trailers were ordered at the factory of "Ateliers Metallurgiques de Nivelles". The description follows in the table below:
|Standing||2 x 15||2 x 15||2 x 12|
|Power (kW)||2 x 50||2 x 50||-|
|Brakes||hand + rheostatic||hand + rheostatic||hand + solenoide|
All coaches were build by "Ateliers Metallurgiques de Nivelles" in Belgium. They were fitted for 1200 Volt DC. The body was made of wood. The color was red (below) and ivory (above), after 1946 the red was changed to blue.
Who wants to read a good book about the tram, can read the book "De Minettstram", written by Paul Bohnert, Raymond Dhur, Jules Eck and Prosper Rauen. The book (in German language) has been published in 1985 by Editpress Luembourg in Esch sur Alzette.
An old picture of the depot in Esch Belval. In the middle one of the motor coaches can be seen.
A picture, just excellently showing, why the tram was called "Minettstram" (miners tram). The lines from Esch to the eastern side ran through a mining area in the hills.
Tramcar nr 14 at the western of the network, in Rodange at the French frontier.
Tram motorcar 53 at the terminus in Schifflange.
A picture of trailer coach 100. The foto must have been taken during the second world war. The name of the company was changed from TICE into ITKE, as can be seen on the side of the tramcar.
The interior of a motor-car of the series 1-15. The driver and conductor are just having their pause. Between the two man the spindle for the hand brake can be seen.